OSPO Alliance and annual report: June 2021 newsletter
In June, we broadened our horizons 🌍, with participation in a number of international events and an exciting new initiative.
- the OSPO Alliance launched! We’re proud to be a founding member of this new coalition to help organizations discover and understand open source.
- Leonardo Favario joined us for the 6th episode of our Let’s Talk About Public Code podcast to talk about Italy’s unique national approach to supporting public code
- we published our first annual report - read about our achievements so far and plans for the year ahead
We have no confirmed external events coming up - instead, we’re looking forward to summer breaks.
- The July Foundation for Public Code community call will take place on Thurs, 15 July at 15.00 CEST. We’re still deciding the topic - let us know if there’s anything you’d like to talk about.
- We’ll be hosting 2 half-day reviews of our oldest documentation on 22 July and 26 August. You’re welcome to join us - check our Twitter account the week before for more details.
Codebase stewardship news
There are currently 4 codebases in stewardship with the Foundation for Public Code: Demodam, Digital Omgevingsbeleid, Openzaak and Signalen.
Updates this month include:
- Alphen aan de Rijn has decided to use Signalen!
- Demodam drafted their first governance document, and created a project board with great issues
- Read an interview with Erik Veerman, project lead from ‘S-Hertogenbosch, about replicating Signalen
- Our codebase steward Felix blogged about his views on product management in open source - spoiler: you are responsible!
- Codebase stewards supported a Climate Watch presentation to Danish municipalities
Stewards now do their weekly planning on a public kanban board - follow along with their work.
- Our community Jitsi tool is ready for use
- Eric Herman has accepted a 1 year appointment as an interim board member. We look forward to learning from Eric’s 6 years on the board of the MariaDB Foundation
- We’ve adopted a new approach to keeping the Standard fresh: we’re doing an open monthly backlog review
In case you missed it
- Our codebase steward Jan gave a talk at FOSSnorth on helping public organizations collectively develop and maintain public code
- Our president Ben spoke at Open Source Lisbon on stewardship as a pattern, and ensuring continuity in both cities and code
- video of our June Foundation for Public Code community call on content maintenance and review